Thursday, March 4, 2010

What two teddy bears taught me about life



April loved teddy bears. She really loved teddy bears. (Simple things made her really happy.) We have lots and lots of them all over the house. Too many, I always thought. So when I went looking for Valentine's Day goodies I thought this would be a good year to skip buying any new bears. Maybe a couple of very small (about 4") bears, but that's all. That was much more practical, I thought, and I'm a practical guy. We don't need more of those big 16" bears cluttering up the house. She has plenty of those already.

But I saw two large bears that were really really cute. Much nicer than the small ones. April would love them. I knew that for sure. I knew those were the very ones she would pick if she were shopping. (Why two bears? April always wanted her bears in husband and wife couples. You couldn't have single, lonely bears.) But we don't need more bears, and I don't want to spend the extra money. Gotta be frugal. I've spent enough with other gifts.

Then a voice inside me said, oh, hell, get the bears. $10 each - big deal - less than a dinner out. They will make April really happy. And she's your wife. And she's been through a lot and is about to undergo surgery. Just shut up, buy the bears and make her happy.

I bought the bears. I sneaked them into the hospital and gave them to her the morning of the transplant as we were preparing for surgery. She loved them. She really loved them, as I knew she would. I'll never forget the huge smile on her face.

Little did I know they would be the last bears I would ever give her.

I am soooo glad I did that. If I had gone cheap and skipped the bears I never would have forgiven yourself. Thank God for that little voice that steered me in the right direction. So folks, spoil the people you love. Do what you know makes them happy. You won't regret it.

Just ask the bears.

No comments:

Post a Comment